In My Right Mind

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Universal City, Texas, United States

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It Didn't Happen On Our Soil.

I just saw an exchange between Bill O'Reilly of the Fox News Channel and Toronto columnist Antonia Zerbisias. They were discussing the
irresponsibility of the media's aversion to call "a terrorist a terrorist." Instead, the media prefers the "a man set off a bomb on a train today" or "suicide bombers killed X amount of victims today..." In particular, O'Reilly brought up the often media echoed phrase: "One person's terrorist is another's "freedom fighter".

Ms. Zerbisias defended that offensive statement by pointing out that America backed up El Salvador's "El Contra" who committed acts of terrorism against innocent civilians. Her obvious smug insinuation was who does the U.S. think they are accusing anyone else in the world of being terrorists?

O'Reilly pointed out to her the blatant offensiveness of this statement,
particularly for the family members of the victims of 9/11, Bali, and more recently the London train bombings. What was Zerbisias' reply to this?

"It didn't happen on our soil."

That's right. Here we have yet another arrogant Canadian's snub of not only America's misfortune at the hands of a brutal terrorist attack, but extended to the rest of the world. I've heard this "not on our soil" mantra once before from the mouth of a Canadian diplomat.

I wonder what Ms. Zerbisias' attitude will be when terrorist carnage eventually reaches "her soil". Do you think she will be so smug? Or will she be a blubbering mess when her family members and friends are found lying in a pool of their own blood after the Islamo-facists terrorists strike on her soil. I predict Canadian weeping "waterworks" will abound.

Once that happens, it will be America who will step in to rescue their sorry asses. And true to their French influence, they will spit in our face for it later.

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Clay,

I had a slightly different take on her "It didn't happen on our soil" comment.

She was responding to O'Reilly asking if she thought the CBC would be forced to overturn its "no terrorists" policy due to public outcry. She didn't think that there would be an outcry from Canadians about the policy because "It hasn't happened on our soil," meaning Canada doesn't have the same sensitivity to this ridiculous, politically-correct pandering to liberals, lefties, and terrorists. She went on to clarify that Canadians don't have the emotional investment in this issue that Americans, Britons, and other victims of terrorism do.

So, while I agree with you that she is wrong not to call these evil killers what they are, terrorists, I think you may have misunderstood her intent and motivation behind her comment. Rather than a smug, "nanny-nanny-boo-boo" I think it was more a grateful explanation.

Just my opinion.

James @ Right Face!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Clay said...

James,

I stand corrected. It was the second time I heard the phrase "it didn't happen on our soil" and that I could smell a ratty trend developing from Canadians.

I was a bit too hasty on this one. Thanks for straightening me out. I don't always get it right, and I do appreciate positive criticism.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home