In My Right Mind

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Universal City, Texas, United States

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thinking

I don't know who wrote this piece but I like it.

____________________________________________________________________

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and
then -- just to loosen up. Inevitably, though, one thought led to
another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone -- "to relax," I told myself -- but I knew it
wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and
finally I was thinking all the time.

That was when things began to sour at home. One evening I turned off
the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night
at her mother's.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't
mix, but I couldn't help myself. I began to avoid friends at
lunchtime so I could read Thoreau, Muir, Confucius and Kafka. I would
return to the office dazed and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing
here?"

One day the boss called me in. He said, "Listen, I like you, and it
hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you
don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job."

This gave me a lot to think about. I came home early after my
conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."
"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But honey, surely it's not that serious." "It is serious," she said,
lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors and
college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking, we
won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently. She exploded in tears
of rage and frustration, but I was in no mood to deal with the emotional
drama.

"I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I
headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche. I roared into the
parking lot with Rush Limbaugh on the radio and ran up to the big glass doors. They
didn't open. The library was closed.

To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that
night. Leaning on the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra , a
poster caught my eye, "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?"
it asked.

You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinkers
Anonymous poster. This is why I am what I am today: a recovering
thinker.

I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational
video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how
we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just
seemed...easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking. I think the
road to recovery is nearly complete for me.



Today I took the final step... I joined the Democratic Party.

4 Comments:

Blogger Obob said...

very good. I've gone back to the basics, Orwell and now Homer. I have been feeling intellectual dead lately and need a rechange. And the more I think, the more angry I get with the left in our country. For an alleged gaggle of intellects, they are lazy, smug ad narrow minded. There are a few diamonds in the rough and I relish their writings, but I am dimayed with their failed use of an education

7:19 PM  
Blogger Clay said...

Obob,

The left doesn't want real education for our progeny, at least not critical thinking taught, they need malleable minds to brainwash into liberalism. It is a real shame.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Obob said...

My typing and spelling was terrible on that last post, mea culpa.
But I enjoy challenging my students. Even opposing Church doctrine and popular thought to evoke a reasoned debate makes my day. If the student's argument has no reason or follows an immature script, I cut them off and correct them. Whether I agree or not, I want them to think for themselves. It takes a couple years, but I am noticing growth

8:20 AM  
Blogger Clay said...

obob,

It sounds like you are the kind of teacher that this country is desperately short of. Thanks for your service in our children's education.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home